[Numpy-discussion] NumPy date/time types and the resolution concept

Francesc Alted faltet@pytables....
Thu Jul 17 02:42:32 CDT 2008

A Tuesday 15 July 2008, Pierre GM escrigué:
> On Tuesday 15 July 2008 07:30:09 Francesc Alted wrote:
> > Maybe is only that.  But by using the term 'frequency' I tend to
> > think that you are expecting to have one entry (observation) in
> > your array for each time 'tick' since time start.  OTOH, the term
> > 'resolution' doesn't have this implication, and only states the
> > precision of the timestamp.
>
> OK, now I get it.
>
> > I don't know whether my impression is true or not, but after
> > reading about your TimeSeries package, I'm still thinking that this
> > expectation of one observation per 'tick' was what driven you to
> > choose the 'frequency' name.
>
> Well, we do require a "one point per tick" for some operations, such
> as conversion from one frequency to another, but only for TimeSeries.
> A Date Array doesn't have to be regularly spaced.

Ok, I see.  So, it is just the 'frequency' keyword that was misleading
me.  Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers,

--
Francesc Alted