[Numpy-discussion] Documentation: glossary and refactoring

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Jul 17 08:35:36 CDT 2008

Hi all,

We recenty added a framework for topical documentation to NumPy, which
is visible as `numpy.doc`.  The content is here:

http://sd-2116.dedibox.fr/pydocweb/doc/numpy.doc/

I think new users will find the glossary especially useful:

http://sd-2116.dedibox.fr/pydocweb/doc/numpy.doc.reference.glossary/

For technical terms and explanation, we also have `numpy.doc.jargon`
(which is still empty; but feel free to break the ice!).

To those participating:  if you find yourself explaining a common
concept or term over and over, consider adding it to the glossary or
jargon files instead.  Which brings me to refactoring: as with code,
we try to keep functionality documented in one place.  Please *refer*
to other docstrings, instead of copying their content.  For example,
`argsort` refers to `sort`, instead of re-explaining the different
sorting methods.

Contributors are now listed on the stats page:

http://sd-2116.dedibox.fr/pydocweb/stats/

Again, thanks for all your help; you make a mammoth task look easy!
Your docstrings will be included in the 1.2 NumPy release (the first
release candidate which should appear around 4 August).

Regards
Stéfan