[Numpy-discussion] Masked arrays and pickle/unpickle

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Jul 17 11:54:10 CDT 2008

2008/7/17 Anthony Floyd <anthony.floyd@convergent.ca>:
> What I need to know is how I can trick pickle or Numpy to put the old class into the new class.

If you have an example data-file, send it to me off-list and I'll
figure out what to do.  Maybe it is as simple as

np.core.ma = np.oldnumeric.ma

> It's extremely surprising to find a significant API change like this in a stable package.

I don't know if renaming things in np.core counts as an API change.
Pickling is notoriously unreliable for storing arrays, which is why
Robert wrote `load` and `save`.  I hope that Pierre can get around to
implementing MaskedArray storage for 1.2.  Otherwise, you can already
save the array and mask separately.

Regards
Stéfan