[Numpy-discussion] Masked arrays and pickle/unpickle

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Jul 17 15:29:48 CDT 2008

Hi Pierre,

2008/7/17 Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com>:
>> Otherwise, you can already
>> save the array and mask separately.
>
> An other possibility is to store the MaskedArray as a record array, with one
> field for the data and one field for the mask.

What about the other parameters, such as fill value?  Do we know its
type beforehand?  If we can come up with a robust way to convert a
MaskedArray into (one or more) structured array(s), that would be
perfect for storage purposes.  Also, you wouldn't need to be
volunteered to implement it :)

Further, could we rename numpy.ma.core to numpy.ma._core?  I think we
should make it clear that users should not import from core directly.

Cheers
Stéfan