[Numpy-discussion] Masked arrays and pickle/unpickle

Mark Miller markperrymiller@gmail....
Thu Jul 17 17:36:37 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dang, forgot about that. Having a dictionary of options would be cool, but
> we
> can't store it inside a regular ndarray. If we write to a file, we may want
> to write a header first that would store all the metadata we need.

Not to derail the discussion, but I am a frequent user of Python's shelve
function to archive large numpy arrays and associated sets of parameters
into one very handy and  accessible file.  If numpy developers are
discouraging use of this type of thing (shelve relies on pickle, is this
correct?), then it would be super handy to be able to also include other
data when saving arrays using numpy's intrinsic functions.

Just a thought.