[Numpy-discussion] f2py - how to use .pyf files?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Jul 18 18:35:21 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 18:19, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 3:53 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You still need "-m text2", I believe.
>>
>> Right, thanks.  But it still doesn't quite work.  Consider a makefile with
>>
>> lib: seglib.so
>>
>> seglib.so: Text2.f90
>>        f2py -c --fcompiler=gnu95 -m seglib Text2.f90
>>
>> pyf: Text2.f90
>>        f2py -h seglib.pyf -m seglib Text2.f90 --overwrite-signature
>>
>> lib2: Text2.f90
>>        f2py -c --fcompiler=gnu95 seglib.pyf
>
> You still need to have Text2.f90 on the line.

Ahah!  I went on this:

  -h <filename>    Write signatures of the fortran routines to file <filename>
                   and exit. You can then edit <filename> and use it
***instead***
                   of <fortran files>.

[emphasis mine].  The instead there led me to think that I should NOT
list the fortran files.  Should that docstring be fixed, or am I just
misreading something?

And do you have any ideas on why the f2py_options in setup.py don't
correctly pass the --fcompiler flag down to f2py?  It does work if one
calls setup.py via

./setup.py config_fc --fcompiler=gnu95 build_ext --inplace

but it seems it would be good to be able to set all f2py options
inside the setup.py file (without resorting to sys.argv hacks).  Or
does this go against the grain of numpy.distutils?

Cheers,