[Numpy-discussion] [matplotlib-devel] Matplotlib and latest numpy

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Fri Jul 18 18:53:47 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 18:49, Gael Varoquaux
<gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 06:44:21PM -0500, Robert Kern wrote:
>> It's not a setuptools issue at all. "build_ext --inplace" just doesn't
>> install header files.
>
> Does that mean that python setup.py develop should be banned for numpy?

No.

> If so I consider it a setuptools issue: one more caveat to learn about
> setuptools, ie the fact that setuptools develop is not reliable and can
> lead to interested bugs without conplaining at all.

IT'S NOT A SETUPTOOLS ISSUE. If you had done a "python setup.py
build_ext --inplace" and then set your PYTHONPATH manually, you would
have the same problem. Stop blaming setuptools for every little
problem. Building inplace is not a setuptools feature. It's a
distutils feature. The fact that we have header files in the package
is a numpy feature.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."