[Numpy-discussion] Ticket review: #848, leak in PyArray_DescrFromType

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Sun Jul 20 06:00:16 CDT 2008

2008/7/20 Michael Abbott <michael@araneidae.co.uk>:
>> I'm very impressed with your ability to follow these reference count
>> issues.  Especially given that you only started learning about the
>> Python C-API a few months ago (if I remember correctly).
> Alas no.  I'm a bit of an old lag really, I did dabble with the Python C
> API quite a few years ago (2001ish maybe?).  Myy roots are in computer
> science and then assembler (graduated 1980) before Pascal (seriously) then
> C, then C++ (which I now regard as a serious mistake) and finally shell

It's scary how many of us were scarred for life by C++.

If you have ten minutes free sometime, would you please consider
writing up your reference counting explanation on the wiki (even if
you just copy and paste that part out of your email and annotate it)?
Having more eyes on the NumPy code is imperative; we need to teach
more people to understand how to find these sorts of problems.

> I'm learning my way around git and have just used `git svn` to grab (and
> update) the numpy repository.  I'm hugely impressed by it, though it is
> very expensive to run the first time -- it fetches every single svn
> revision!  Hopefully that didn't overload the web server...  This will
> make working on patches much easier.

I hope that we can move over to a distributed revision control system
sometime in the foreseeable future.  From what I've seen, its model
strongly encourages community interaction.

Cheers
Stéfan