[Numpy-discussion] Schedule for 1.2.0

Joe Harrington jh@physics.ucf....
Tue Jul 22 17:59:19 CDT 2008

Hi Jarrod,

I'm just catching up on my numpy lists and I caught this; sorry for
the late reply!

> Another issue that we should address is whether it is OK to postpone
> the planned API changes to histogram and median.  A couple of people
> have mentioned to me that they would like to delay the API changes to
> 1.3, which seems reasonable to me.  If anyone would prefer that we
> make the planned API changes for histogram and median in 1.2, please
> speak now.

I *strongly* want both these changes for 1.2, as I am sure do the many
people teaching courses using numpy for the fall.  It is hard to get
students to understand why there are inconsistencies and
irrationalities in software, and it's even worse when it's
open-source, since somehow it's the lecturer's fault that he picked a
package that isn't right in some major way.  Worse, we're changing
these behaviors like 6 months from now, so students will have to learn
it wrong and code it wrong, and then their code may break on top of
it.  On behalf of this year's new students and their instructors, I
ask you to keep these changes in the release as planned.

Thanks,

--jh--
Prof. Joseph Harrington
Department of Physics