[Numpy-discussion] f2py - a recap

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jul 23 17:46:17 CDT 2008

Howdy,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 3:18 PM, Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za> wrote:
> 2008/7/23 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>:

> I agree (with your previous e-mail) that it would be good to have some
> documentation, so if you could give me some pointers on *what* to
> document (I haven't used f2py much), then I'll try my best to get
> around to it.

Well, I think my 'recap' message earlier in this thread points to a
few issues that can probably be addressed quickly (the 'instead' error
in the help, the doc/docs dichotomy needs to be cleaned up so a single
documentation directory exists, etc).   I'm also  attaching a set of
very old notes I wrote years ago on f2py that you are free to use in
any way you see fit.  I gave them a 2-minute rst treatment but didn't
edit them at all, so they may be somewhat outdated (I originally wrote
them in 2002 I think).

If Pearu has moved to greener pastures, f2py could certainly use an
adoptive parent.  It happens to be a really important piece of
infrastructure and  for the most part it works fairly well.   I think
a litlte bit of cleanup/doc integration with the rest of numpy is
probably all that's needed, so it could be a good project for someone
to adopt that would potentially be low-demand yet quite useful.

Cheers,