[Numpy-discussion] Instructions on building from source

Thu Jul 24 03:45:31 CDT 2008

Andrew Straw wrote:

> The way it's supposed to work, as far as I understand it, is that atlas
> is not required at build time but when installed later automatically
> speeds up the blas routines.  (Upon installation of libatlas3gf-sse2,
> libblas.so.3gf is pointed to /usr/lib/sse2/atlas/libblas.so.3gf from
> libblas.so.3gf => /usr/lib/libblas.so.3gf). I have not verified that any
> of this actually happens. So, please take this with a grain of salt.
> Especially since my answer differs from Robert's.

It only happens because debian put the CBLAS interface into libblas.*.
Normally, it is not there, and numpy depends on cblas for _dotblas. The
way it should work is to test for cblas instead of atlas (atlas always
have cblas), but that requires work that nobody has done so far.

And this reconcile your answer and Robert's one :)

cheers,

David