[Numpy-discussion] 0d array value comparisons

Thomas J. Duck tom.duck@dal...
Fri Jul 25 12:42:05 CDT 2008

Hi,

      There is some unexpected behaviour (to me) when 0-dimensional
arrays are compared with values.  For example:

  >>> numpy.array([0]).squeeze() == 0
True

 >>> numpy.array([None]).squeeze() == None
False

 >>> numpy.array(['a']).squeeze() == 'a'
array(True, dtype=bool)

Note that each test follows the same pattern, although the dtype for
each squeezed array is different.  The first case result is what I
expected, and the second case result appears wrong.  The return type
for the third case is inconsistent with those before, but is at least
workable.

      Are these the intended results?

Thanks,
Tom

--

Thomas J. Duck <tom.duck@dal.ca>

Associate Professor,
Department of Physics and Atmospheric Science, Dalhousie University,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3H 3J5.
Tel: (902)494-1456 | Fax: (902)494-5191 | Lab: (902)494-3813
Web: http://aolab.phys.dal.ca/