[Numpy-discussion] Ashigabou Repository atlas vs yum blas/lapack

jb jj20047@gmail....
Mon Jul 28 14:01:58 CDT 2008

Hello:
I'm hoping someone can straighten me out.  I have a 64 bit fedora 8
quad core machine and can install blas and lapack from the yum
repository.  With these, numpy installs fine and finds blas and
lapack.

I also tried removing the yum blas/lapack libs and installing atlas
via the instructions given on the scipy site for Ashigabou Repository.
 Atlas built fine from source and after installing the new rpm there
were two files in the lib64/atlas/sse2 folder: libblas.so.3.0 and
liblapack.so.3.0.  However, when I try to install numpy, it cannot
find any blas, lapack, or atlas, even though my site.cfg file has:

[DEFAULT]
library_dirs = /usr/lib64:/usr/lib64/atlas/sse2

[blas_opt]
libraries = f77blas, cblas, atlas

[lapack_opt]
libraries = lapack, f77blas, cblas, atlas

[atlas]
library_dirs = /usr/lib64/atlas/sse2
atlas_libs = lapack, blas

Using LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib64/atlas/sse2 before installing numpy
does not make a difference.

My questions are, are the yum versions of lapack/blas just as good as
the one built from Ashigabou source, and if not, why would numpy not
be able to find the Ashigabou blas and lapack files (even though its
looking in the right directory)?

Thanks.