[Numpy-discussion] strange seterr persistence between sessions

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jul 28 14:35:35 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 14:30, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 13:56, John Hunter <jdh2358@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> In trying to track down a bug in matplotlib, I have come across tsome
>>> very strange numpy behavior.  Basically, whether or not I call
>>> np.seterr('raise') or not in a matplotlib demo affects the behavior of
>>> seterr in another (pure numpy) script, run in a separate process.
>>> Something about the numpy state is persisting between python sessions.
>>>  This appears to be platform specific, because I have only been able
>>> to verify it on 1 platform (quad code xeon 64 bit running fedora) but
>>> not on another (solaris x86).
>>
>> Can you make a new, smaller self-contained example? I suspect stale .pyc files.
>
> I'm not sure exactly what you mean by self-contained (since the
> behavior requires at least two files).  Do you mean trying to come up
> with two numpy only examples files, or one that does away with the npy
> file?  Or both....

Both, if the behavior exhibits itself without the npy file. If it only
exhibits itself with an npy involved, then we have some more
information about where the problem might be.

> As for the stale files, I'm not sure what you are
> thinking but these are clean builds and installs of numpy and mpl.

And of the files you are editing and anything they might import?

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco