[Numpy-discussion] Recent work for branch cuts / C99 complex maths: problems on mingw

Tue Jul 29 01:27:04 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:29 PM, David Cournapeau <
david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    I was away during the discussion on the updated complex functions
> using C99, and I've noticed it breaks some tests on windows (with mingw;
> I have not tried with Visual Studio, but it is likely to make things
> even worse given C support from MS compilers):
>
> http://scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/865
>
> Were those changes backported to 1.1.x ? If so, I would consider this as
> a release blocker,

The only changes to the computations were in acosh and asinh, which I think
should work fine. The tests check branch cuts and corner cases among other
things and are only in the trunk, so we aren't any worse off than we were,
we just have more failing tests to track down. At least one previous failing
tests looked to be a Python bug, so finding the root causes here and putting
together tests that work everywhere is going to be a project. Some of the
problems could be in the windows library, probably sqrt and log. Other
problems might be in notations for nans and infs. Anyway, it would be nice
to make all these things platform independent but I don't think we should
worry about that for 1.1.1.

Chuck