[Numpy-discussion] FFT usage / consistency

Felix Richter felix@physik3.uni-rostock...
Tue Jul 29 07:36:22 CDT 2008

I learned a few things in the meantime:

In my installation, NumPy uses fftpack_lite while SciPy uses FFTW3. There are
more test cases in SciPy which all pass. So I am confirmed my problem is a
pure usage problem.
One thing I was confused about is the fact that even if I calculate the
function over a certain interval, I cannot tell FFT which interval this is,
it will instead assume [0...n]. So actually I did not transform a Lorentz
function centered at zero but rather centered at 500.
Unfortunately, this solves only half of my problem, because I still cannot
reproduce the exact FT. I'll ask for that on the SciPy list, this now seems
more appropriate.