[Numpy-discussion] numpy import problem

Mon Jun 2 02:07:32 CDT 2008

Bala subramanian wrote:

> I dnt understand why python 2.4 dosent contain seperate libraries
> installed in /usr/lib?

Because your python 2.4 was installed in /usr/local, I guess:

> The following is the result of the command - python -c "import sys;
> print sys.path"
>
> ['', '/usr/local/lib/python24.zip', '/usr/local/lib/python2.4',
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/plat-linux2',
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk',
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-dynload',
> '/usr/local/lib/python2.4/site-packages']

It is still not clear to me why you cannot import string in python 2.4:
python automatically add $PREFIX/lib/python-$VERSION/site-packages to
the path list it is looking at for import.

Did you install python 2.4 from sources ? Or is it installed by your
package manager (rpm, since it looks like you are using Red Hat).

cheers,

David