[Numpy-discussion] Which Python to Use on OSX, Was: 1.1.0 OSX Installer Fails Under 10.5.3?

Wed Jun 4 11:36:32 CDT 2008

Tommy Grav wrote:
> I have installed Activepython on my machine (PPC w/ 10.5.3)
> and it has worked more or less flawlessly.

And I've been using the python.org one for ages, also with NO issues. I
tried to use Apple's Python for a while back with 10.2, but there were
always problems, and Apple's has never patched or upgraded anything
python within an OS version. This really is an issue: I just ran into a
python bug that was fixed between 2.5.1 and 2.5.2 -- do you really not
want to have the option of fixing that? You've also got an old wxPython,
and old numpy, an old who knows what?

Also, it seems some folks have been having breakage of already compiled
pyc files when upgrading to the latest 10.5

If you install your own Python, you have control over everything you
need to, and you won't break anything Apple is using.

One other issue -- if you want to build re-distributable apps with
py2app, or Universal binaries of packages, you'll need the python.,org
python (Or some monkey-patching of the system python).

>> export PYTHONPATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
>> Current/lib/python2.5/site-packages

This will probably not break anything Apple did, as their stuff won't be
using your bash_profile, but it still scares me a bit.

 >> The best thing is that the system
>> wxPython is used, when it can be a PITA to setup correctly through
>> other ways.

huh? The installer provided at the wxPython pages has always worked
flawlessly for me (for the python.org build) -- what could be easier?

By the way, this was discussed a lot on the pythonmac list -- though
with no consensus reached :-( . For historical interest however, the
Python supplied with 10.5 is the first one that core pythonmac folks
have considered not too broken to use.

One more plug for my opinion -- the Python-on-OS-X world is far too
fractured -- Apple's build, python.org's, Activestate's, fink, macports,
build-from tarball... It's a mess, and a real pain for folks that want
to just build/install a binary package. If the community could settle on
one build to support, life would be so much easier. Python.org's 2.5
build is really the only option for that (I think ActiveState's may be
compatible), as it is the only one that supports:

10.3.9 and 10.4 and 10.5
PPC and Intel
py2app
building Universal binary packages.

That's why the binary distributed by numpy is for that build, and it's a
good choice. (the working should be change,d tough, it's not the
"system" python).

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker@noaa.gov