[Numpy-discussion] Building 64-bit numpy on OSX

Fri Jun 6 18:34:39 CDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 5:28 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>> If you were able to install python without sudo you should not need to
>>> use sudo to build numpy. I certainly did not need to do so. Can you post
>>> the exact sequence of commands you ran?
>>>

>> Here they are:
>>
>>    daniel-yaminss-mac-pro:numpy-1.1.0 danielyamins$ python setup.py
>> install
>>    Running from numpy source directory.
>>
>>    ....[a whole bunch of output, things apparently working for a little
>> while. then:]
>>
>>    copying build/lib.macosx-10.3-i386-2.5/numpy/__config__.py ->
>> /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy
>>    error: could not delete
>> '/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/__config__.py': Permission
>> denied
>>
>> This is what happens when I try to run the install without "sudo".  When I
>> do "sudo python setup.py install" instead, the process finishes but then, as
>> I said before, when I open a python interpreter and try to import numpy it
>> fails in the way I posted previously.
>>

>> >It is not obvious to me, but I do't see what is wrong either. Apple's
>> >python is not in /usr/local, so it does not sound like when you build
>> >numpy you ended up using the "wrong" python.
>>
>> So, I think it's using the "right" python since I modified my .profile to
>> make the 64-bit version stored in /usr/local the default.    (and when I
>> open python the "build" information gives the time of the new one I built.)
>>

> I don't think the permissions problem really matters, it just means you
> don't write permissions in /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages, which is
> normal.  What I think matters is "no matching architecture in universal
> wrapper". Hmmm. I wonder if you and Michael have the same versions of OS X?
> And why is dlopen looking for a universal library? One would hope that
> distutils would have taken care of that.
>
> Out of curiosity, where are the 32/64 bit libraries normally put? Do you
> have a /usr/local/lib32 or a /usr/local/lib64? What does
>
> file /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/numpy/core/multiarray.so
>
> do?

If you google for "no matching architecture in universal wrapper" you will
turn up a bunch of references to leopard (OS X 10.5?). So this problem has
been seen before, but I didn't follow any of the threads far enough to know
what the solution might be.

Chuck