[Numpy-discussion] Switching to nose test framework (was: NumpyTest problem)

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre@gmail....
Sun Jun 8 18:18:07 CDT 2008

On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 6:49 PM, Nathan Bell <wnbell@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 8, 2008 at 6:15 AM, Alan McIntyre <alan.mcintyre@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Right now there's "if __name__ == '__main__'" boilerplate at the end
>> of every test module; nose can find and run tests without that being
>> there.  I wanted to get the list's take on removing that--it just
>> means that if you want to run the tests in one module, you have to do
>> "nosetests numpy/blah/test_foo.py" instead of "python
>> numpy/blah/test_foo.py".  Is there a reason not to remove that
>> boilerplate since we've already decided to use nose?
>>

> When making frequent changes to test_foo.py, it's often nice to run
> test_foo.py directly, rather than installing the whole package and
> then testing via nose.
>
> I would leave the decision up to the maintainers of the individual
> submodules.  Personally, I find it useful to have.

You can run the test scripts from the source tree without installing
them by using nosetests, like this:

nosetests nump/numpy/ilb/tests/test_getlimits.py
or
nosetests nump/numpy/ilb/tests