[Numpy-discussion] Switching to nose test framework (was: NumpyTest problem)

Fri Jun 13 08:21:11 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 02:51:51AM +0200, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> > Build instructions don't really belong in docstrings. Put it in the
> > README.txt or DEV_README.txt.

> No, but running the tests is something every user should do before
> using NumPy.  Unless you object, I'll add that bit to the docstring.

I don't agrre. My users have no clue what tests are. They have installed
a binary numpy, and can not remotely understand what the output of the
test suite would be. I don't think they should have to run test before
running numpy, they should have to if they run into strange problems, in
which case I expect them to be instructed to do so. It is true that good
documentation to run the tests when told so is useful, but it shouldn't
jump at your face.

Hell, hopefully we will soon have medical doctors (with no special
training) running numpy -- maybe we already do have!

Gaël