[Numpy-discussion] nose changes checked in

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Wed Jun 18 11:05:27 CDT 2008

2008/6/18 Anne Archibald <peridot.faceted@gmail.com>:
> Well, probably. But more so for those that are used widely throughout
> numpy itself, since many of us learn how to write code using numpy by
> reading numpy source. (Yes, this means that "internal" conventions
> like "numpy.core.whatever" get used by people who aren't writing
> numpy.)

People shouldn't be using code from `numpy.core` directly.  When we
refactor code behind the scenes, we need a workspace to do it in, and
if people start putting their hands in the engine we can't protect
them from getting hurt.  A bigger warning sign may be appropriate (or,
to take it to the extreme, rename `core` to `_core`).

The testing code in NumPy is going to be replaced by Nose.  This means
that eventually all internal test scanning capabilities in NumPy will
disappear.  It isn't necessary to remove NumpyTestCase entirely.
Rather

a) Warn that Nose is becoming a dependency (next release).
b) Replace NumpyTestCase with a Nose-dependent equivalent in the
release thereafter.

Regards
Stéfan