[Numpy-discussion] nose changes checked in

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre@gmail....
Wed Jun 18 16:12:58 CDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 4:15 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> We've been already been making that warning for some time now, in the
> proper venues. warning.warn() is good for DeprecationWarnings, but not
> this. We are good to go for nose being used in 1.2.

Ok, so somebody tell me if I've got anything wrong here:

- All the tests included in NumPy 1.2 will be run using nose (whether
it's included in NumPy or not).  None of the tests will use any part
of the old test framework or assume that old test framework rules are
still valid.
- All the old test classes must be retained, with deprecation
warnings.  Third party tests that use them must still work when run
with Numpy 1.2.
- The signature of numpy.test in 1.2 will be backward compatible with
1.1, and it will at least return some indication of failure (if not
the same object as in 1.1).  This will, by the way, make it different
from the signature and behavior of scipy.test.
- The output (to stdout/stderr) of numpy.test in 1.2 will be different
from 1.1, since nose isn't displaying the total number of tests it
finds in each subpackage.