[Numpy-discussion] Updating cython directory to pxd usage: objections?

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Thu Jun 19 04:31:32 CDT 2008

2008/6/19 Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>:
> after I updated the pyrex code to use cython, a bit of confusion led
> me to using .pxi includes instead of .pxd files and cimport.  That
> turned out to be mistaken, as later clarified by the Cython team:
>
> http://codespeak.net/pipermail/cython-dev/2008-April/000628.html

You weren't the only one confused.  In fact, reading the FAQ didn't help me:

http://wiki.cython.org/FAQ#head-a3d09805a03c014080feff45fe8e22024d473d62

The NumPy definitions are all external, so why shouldn't they go in a .pxi?

Some other questions:

- There's a bug in the latest Cython annotation, preventing the
example from compiling.  Workaround: replace "cython -a" with
"cython".

- We could also add a scons buildfile, to show how extensions are
built with and without numscons.

- import_array().  Can we put it at the bottom of c_numpy.pxd, so that
users don't have to import it every time?

- Author names: should we remove author names from module headers and
add them in THANKS.txt or some other contributor list?

Regards
Stéfan