[Numpy-discussion] Test framework changes

Alan McIntyre alan.mcintyre@gmail....
Fri Jun 20 16:01:54 CDT 2008

Hi all,

Just wanted to get feedback about the following changes before I make
them.  Please speak up if any of this seems objectionable to you.

- The old test framework classes will be restored, but will not be
used anywhere in NumPy's tests.  If your old tests still don't work
with the restored classes, please let me know and I'll fix it.

- Add a function to numpy.testing to execute a module's tests via the
"if __name__ == '__main__'" hook.  It takes one optional argument, the
name of the file to run (if not present, it uses the same method as
NoseTester to look it up from the stack).  The intent is to make the
boilerplate as simple as possible.

  if __name__ == '__main__':
      run_module_suite()

  If somebody has a suggestion for a better name, I'd love to hear it.
I didn't want "test" in the name, because then I have to explicitly
tell nose to ignore it when it's looking for test functions.

- Remove numpy/testing/pkgtester.py since it now just has one line of
code that imports NoseTester (as Tester) from nosetester.py (it used
to create a null tester if nose wasn't present, but this was removed
by porting of r4424 from SciPy).  NoseTester will still be made
available as numpy.testing.Tester.

- numpy.test (and all the other test functions in subpackages) will
take the following positional arguments: label, verbose, extra_argv,
doctests, coverage (the same arguments as SciPy.test except for the
new coverage option).  The old arguments can be passed in as keyword
arguments (which seems to be how they were passed in in all the
examples I could find), and they will be emulated as much as possible
by the new test suite, but a deprecation warning will be issued.

- numpy.test now returns an object with a wasSuccessful method; under
the old test framework it returned a unittest._TextTestResult, but
since nose.run only returns success/failure, I'm just wrapping this
result in a dummy object to match the old behavior until I can figure
out how to get a real _TextTestResult from nose.

(The two changes to numpy.test should allow the buildbots to run the
tests properly again)

Thanks,
Alan