[Numpy-discussion] Code samples in docstrings mistaken as doctests

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Jun 23 16:58:36 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 16:51, Michael McNeil Forbes
<mforbes@physics.ubc.ca> wrote:

>>> Yes, this makes it doctestable, but you've destroyed the exampleness.
>>> It should be policy *not* to do this.
>
> Well perhaps... but do you think that
>
> rand(d0, d1, ..., dn) -> random values
>
> is more exampley than
>
>  >>> r = np.random.rand(3,2,4)
>  >>> r.shape
> (3,2,4)
>
> ?

No. It wasn't an example. It was a specification of the call signature
because it is in an extension module, so the call signature is not
available like it is for pure Python functions. Thus, it needs to be
given in the docstring.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."