[Numpy-discussion] Code samples in docstrings mistaken as doctests

Mon Jun 23 21:09:54 CDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Michael Abshoff <
michael.abshoff@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> > 2008/6/24 Stéfan van der Walt <stefan@sun.ac.za>:
> >> It should be fairly easy to execute the example code, just to make
> >> sure it runs.  We can always work out a scheme to test its validity
> >> later.
>
> Hi,
>
> > Mike Hansen just explained to me that the Sage doctest system sets the
> > random seed before executing each test.  If we address
> >
> > a) Random variables
>
> we have some small extensions to the doctesting framework that allow us
> to mark doctests as "#random" so that the result it not checked. Carl
> Witty wrote some code that makes the random number generator in a lot of
> the Sage components behave consistently on all supported platforms.

But there is more than one possible random number generator. If you do that
you are tied into one kind of generator and one kind of initialization
implementation.

Chuck