[Numpy-discussion] ndarray methods vs numpy module functions

Bob Dowling rjd4@cam.ac...
Tue Jun 24 02:33:37 CDT 2008

> There is not supposed to be a one-to-one correspondence between the
> functions in numpy and the methods on an ndarray. There is some
> duplication between the two, but that is not a reason to make more
> duplication.

I would make a plea for consistency, to start with.

Those of us who write in an OO style are required to switch backwards
and forwards between OO and not-OO, or to abandon OO altogether in our
NumPy code.  Neither is an attractive option.

The reason I tripped over this is that I am currently writing a course
which introduces students to NumPy.  I am going to be asked this
question from the audience.  As yet I don't have any answer except
"history".