[Numpy-discussion] Sparse Matrices in Numpy -- (with eigenvalue algorithms if possible)

Dan Yamins dyamins@gmail....
Tue Jun 24 10:45:08 CDT 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Did you finally get numpy installed as 64 bits?
>
> Chuck
>
> Hey, thanks for asking.   I did in fact get it installed -- at least, I
think so.

First, I had to built python in 64bit.  I did this using exactly the
instructions that mabshoff gave (they should be accessible in an email in
the archives of this mailinglist).  Then, when it came to installing numpy I
ran into a problem that at first I couldn't get numpy to import properly --
the multiarray.so module was build for 32-bit, not 64.  But then I followed
mabshoff's instructions again and deleted the build folder from the numpy
download; this time when I ran setup.py, multiarray.so appeared to have been
built properly.  I _think_ at least it's working -- when I run
   numpy.dtype(numpy.uintp).itemsize
the result is '8'.  Moreover, I can run numpy array functions efficienctly
on objects of size >> 3 GB, so it looks like it's working.

Btw, I had to do the same to get scipy to install properly as 64-bit -- at
least, I think it's been installed properly.    (Again,
scipy.dtype(scipy.uintp).itemsize returns 8 --  I assume that's diagnostic
here as well?)

It might be useful to have a repository of 64-bit builds and/or build
instructions.

Thanks,
Dan