[Numpy-discussion] Record arrays

John Hunter jdh2358@gmail....
Thu Jun 26 11:48:06 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Travis E. Oliphant
<oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:
> Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am documenting `recarray`, and have a question:
>>
>> Is its use still recommended, or has it been superseded by fancy data-types?
>>
> I rarely recommend it's use (but some people do like attribute access to
> the fields).    It is wrong, however, to say that recarray has been
> superseded by fancy data types because fancy data types have existed for
> as long as recarrays.

I personally think they are the best thing since sliced bread, and
everyone here who uses them becomes immediately addicted to them.  I
would like to see better support for them, especially making the attrs
exposed to dir so tab completion would work.

People in the financial/business world work with spreadsheet data a
lot, and record arrays are the natural data structure to represent
tabular, heterogeneous data.    If you work with this data all day,
you save a lot of ugly keystrokes doing r.date rather than r['date'],
and the code is prettier in my opinion.

JDH