[Numpy-discussion] Record arrays

Dan Yamins dyamins@gmail....
Thu Jun 26 15:13:27 CDT 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Gael Varoquaux <
gael.varoquaux@normalesup.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 11:48:06AM -0500, John Hunter wrote:
> > I personally think they are the best thing since sliced bread, and
> > everyone here who uses them becomes immediately addicted to them.  I
> > would like to see better support for them, especially making the attrs
> > exposed to dir so tab completion would work.
>
> > People in the financial/business world work with spreadsheet data a
> > lot, and record arrays are the natural data structure to represent
> > tabular, heterogeneous data.    If you work with this data all day,
> > you save a lot of ugly keystrokes doing r.date rather than r['date'],
> > and the code is prettier in my opinion.
>
> I am +1 on all that.

I also completely second this.  I use them all the time -- for finance data
as well as biological/genomics data.  It is essential for these applications
to have spread-sheet like objects that can have mixed types and from which
good numpy numerical arrays can be extracted when necessary.   I hope to
continue having access to them or something like them.  I also hope that
they will be better documented, since not only do I use them all the time,
I'm hoping to teach their use to many more people whom I am training and in
spread-sheet like data analysis.

(If they have some flaw I don't understand, it would be great if someone
could explain it to me.   And if there's something out there that fixes that
flaw, I'd love to hear about it.  But it seems to me at least that recarrays
are very useful.)