[Numpy-discussion] Record arrays

Dan Yamins dyamins@gmail....
Thu Jun 26 15:39:25 CDT 2008

> In [12]: r2.foo
> Out[12]: array([1, 1, 1])
>

> One downside of this is that the attribute access feature slows down
> all field accesses, even the r['foo'] form, because it sticks a bunch
> of pure Python code in the middle. Much code won't notice this, but if
> you end up having to iterate over an array of records (as I have),
> this will be a hotspot for you.
>
> Record arrays are fundamentally a part of numpy, and no one is even
> suggesting that they would go away. No one is seriously suggesting
> that we should remove recarray, but some of us hesitate to recommend
> its use over plain record arrays.
>
> Does that clarify the discussion for you?

Yes, thanks very much, this is very helpful.  (I think I was confused by the
fact that, AFAICT, the Guide to Numpy only mentions recarray -- as distinct
from Record arrays -- in one somewhat cryptic line.)   But I guess that the
numpy documentation work going on now will provide good documentation for
using Record Arrays proper?