[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Mar 7 02:59:30 CST 2008

Hi Pierre,

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 06 March 2008 13:15:27 Fernando Perez wrote:
>  >  - Rewriting the existing ndarray subclasses that ship with numpy, such
>  >  as record arrays,  in cython.  In doing this, benchmarks of the
>  >  relative performance of the new code should be obtained.
>
>  Fernando,
>  I remember having huge difficulties trying to implement ndarray subclasses in
>  vanilla Pyrex, to the extent that I gave up that approach. Does it work
>  better in Cython (I haven't tried it yet) ?

I doubt it's much better, and that's part of the point of the project:
to identify the problems and fix them once and for all.  Getting
anything fixed in pyrex was hard due to a very opaque development
process, but Cython is part of the Sage umbrella and thus enjoys a
very open and active development community.  Furthermore, they are
explicitly interested in improving the Cython numpy support, and are
willing to help along if this project goes forward.

cheers