[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen@laposte....
Fri Mar 7 03:17:39 CST 2008

On 07.03.2008, at 09:59, Fernando Perez wrote:

> I doubt it's much better, and that's part of the point of the project:
> to identify the problems and fix them once and for all.  Getting
> anything fixed in pyrex was hard due to a very opaque development
> process, but Cython is part of the Sage umbrella and thus enjoys a
> very open and active development community.  Furthermore, they are
> explicitly interested in improving the Cython numpy support, and are
> willing to help along if this project goes forward.

This is very good news in my opinion. Pyrex and Cython are already
very useful tools for scientific computing. They lower the barrier to
writing extension modules significantly (compared to writing directly
in C), and they permit a continuous transition from a working Python
prototype to an efficient extension module. I have been writing all
my recent extension modules using Pyrex, and I definitely won't go
back to C. If Cython gets explicit array support, it would become an
even more useful tool for the NumPy community.

Konrad.