[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Robin robince@gmail....
Fri Mar 7 10:36:39 CST 2008

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
>  As Ondrej pointed out, the expectation is a full-time commitment to
>  the project.  Other than that it sounds like you might be able to
>  participate, and it's worth noting that this being open source, if you
>  just have some free time and would like to get involved with an
>  interesting project, by all means pitch in.  Even if someone picks up
>  an 'official' project, there's plenty to be done on the cython/numpy
>  front for more than one person.
>
>  Perhaps it's not out of place to mention that many people have made
>  solid contributions for years to open source projects without monetary
>  compensation, and still see value in the activity.  If you can spend
>  the time on it, you may still find many rewards out of the work.

Thanks,

I hadn't seen the link Ondrej provided, although the 40 hour week
seems to be a Python/PSF requirement. Prior to posting I had checked
the Google information, where they say the time commitment depends on
both the scope of your project and the requirements of your mentoring
organisation. They also say they have had successful applicants in
previous years from full-time students at non-US universities (who
don't get a summer break), so I thought it might be possible for me to
be considered. I also asked in #gsoc where I was advised 20 hours per
week would be a good baseline, again depending on the project.

Of course, I hope to contribute to Numpy/Scipy anyway - but this
scheme would be a great way to kick-start that.

I look forward to seeing Numpy/Scipy accepted as a mentor organisation
this year anyway, even if I am unable to take part.

Cheers,

Robin