[Numpy-discussion] Numpy/Cython Google Summer of Code project idea

Jon Wright wright@esrf...
Fri Mar 7 13:43:23 CST 2008

Christopher Barker wrote:
> By the way, I know Greg Ewing was asked about better support for numpy
> arrays in Pyrex, and he said "I'm *definitely* not going to
> re-implement C++ templates!" -- is there talk of creating a way to write
> extensions that could operate on numpy arrays of arbitrary type with Cython?

Don't forget that one of the advantages of having data type information
is that you can choose an algorithm accordingly. For example, large
arrays of the smaller integer types can be efficiently sorted using
histograms. The idea separating the algorithm from the datatype means
that (ultra-fast-optimised) things like blas, fftw etc become quite hard
to program.

This is straying far from the discussion of a summer of code project,
which seemed like a great idea.

Jon