[Numpy-discussion] What should be the return type of average?

Sat Mar 15 19:08:26 CDT 2008

Hi,

I want to fix up the average function. I note that the return dtype is not
specified, nor is the precision of the accumulator. Both of these can be
specified for the mean method and I wonder what should be the case for
average. Or should we just use double precision? That would seem appropriate
to me most of the time, but wouldn't match what happens with mean and would
lose precision in the case of extended precision doubles. There is also no
out keyword, do we want one?

Chuck