[Numpy-discussion] SciPy to MyHDL! (was Re: Numpy-discussion Digest, Vol 18, Issue 35)

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon Mar 17 16:27:04 CDT 2008

Please do not reply to digest messages. Consider them read-only. If
you want to participate in the mailing list, please subscribe and
reply to the particular messages you are interested in. I will respond
to this message, but I will not respond to any future replies to
digest messages.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 4:10 PM, Blubaugh, David A.
<dblubaugh@belcan.com> wrote:
> Robert,
>
>  What I envisioned would be a simple but quick means to develop a FFT.  I
>  have worked this issue before with others who say that the way to do it
>  would be to convert enough of the Numpy to MyHDL, which would then allow
>  scipy to be imported within a python program.  The question is to how
>  this would be accomplished??  It should be stated that MyHDL is pure
>  python programming which has no fewer capabilities than standard python.
>  If I need to elaborate more please say so!!

While MyHDL code is pure Python, numpy and scipy are not. They each
have significant portions implemented in C and FORTRAN; in particular,
all of the FFT implementations in numpy and scipy are in C or FORTRAN.
You will not be able to translate them to MyHDL code. I don't know who
suggested this to you, but they are obviously unfamiliar with numpy
and scipy. This will not be a fruitful line of investigation.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco