[Numpy-discussion] numpy's future (1.1 and beyond): whichdirection(s) ?

Fri Mar 21 05:11:36 CDT 2008

Hi,

I don't understand why an unification would simplify stuff, it would make
everything so much more difficult :| Instead of dot, you would have a mult()
function to multiply element by element, the same for inv(), so much less
readable when using arrays when arrays are so much more general and generic
than matrices.
So -1 on this.

Matthieu

2008/3/21, Nadav Horesh <nadavh@visionsense.com>:

> I would like to see a unification of matrices and arrays. I often do
> calculation which involve both array processing and linear algebra, and the
> current solution of having function like dot and inv is not aesthetic.
> Switching between array and matrix types (or using .A attribute of a matrix)
> is not convinient either.
>
>    Nadav.

French PhD student