[Numpy-discussion] bug with with fill_values in masked arrays?

Chris Withers chris@simplistix.co...
Fri Mar 21 11:52:45 CDT 2008

Pierre GM wrote:
>> This sucks to the point of feeling like a bug :-(
>
> It is not.

Ignoring the fill value of masked array feels like a bug to me...

>> Why is it desirable for it to behave like this?
>
> Because that way, you can compare anything to masked and see whether a value
> is masked or not. Anyway, in your case, it's just mean your value is masked.
> You don't care about the filling_value for this one.

Where I cared was when trying to do a filled line plot in matplotlib and
the nans, rather than being omitted, were being shown on the y-axis at
999999, totally wrecking the plot.

I'll buy your argument *iff* the masked arrays used the fill value from
the parent ma.

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk