[Numpy-discussion] Openmp support (was numpy's future (1.1 and beyond): which direction(s) ?)

Stéfan van der Walt stefan@sun.ac...
Sat Mar 22 17:00:36 CDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Travis E. Oliphant
<oliphant@enthought.com> wrote:
>  Perhaps we could drum up interest in a Need for Speed Sprint on NumPy
>  sometime over the next few months.

I guess we'd all like our computations to complete more quickly, as
long as they still give valid results.  I suggest we make sure that we
have very decent test coverage of the C code before doing any further
optimization.  The regression tests cover a number of important corner
cases, but we don't have all that many tests covering everyday usage.
The ideal place for these would be inside the docstrings -- and if we
get the wiki <-> docstring roundtripping working properly, anyone
would be able to contribute towards that goal.

I know that is is possible to track coverage using gcov (you have to
compile numpy into the python binary), but if anyone has a better way,
I'd like to hear about it.

Regards
Stéfan