[Numpy-discussion] SVD error in Numpy. NumPy Update reversed?

Mon Mar 24 18:13:58 CDT 2008

Stéfan van der Walt wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM, Lou Pecora <lou_boog2000@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>  --- Matthieu Brucher <matthieu.brucher@gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>  > It was added as a compile-time #define on the SVN
>>  > some days ago ;)
>>  >
>>  > Matthieu
>>
>>  Thanks, Matthieu, that's a good step.  But when the
>>  SVD function throws an exception is it clear that the
>>  user can redefine niter and recompile?  Otherwise, the
>>  fix remains well hidden.  Most user will be left
>>  puzzled. I think a comment in the raise statement
>>  would be good.  Just point to the solution or where
>>  the user could find it.
>>

> That's a valid concern.  We could maybe pass down the iteration limit
> as a keyword?

This won't work without significant re-design.  This limit is in the
low-level code which is an f2c'd version of some BLAS  which is NumPy's
default SVD implementation if it can't find a vendor BLAS.

-Travis O.