[Numpy-discussion] missing function in numpy.ma?

Eric Firing efiring@hawaii....
Wed Mar 26 16:36:28 CDT 2008

Charles Doutriaux wrote:
> The reorder is a function we implement. By digging a bit into this my
> guess is that all the missing function in numpy.ma are causing to fail
> at some point in our init and returning the wrong object type.
>
> But the whole idea was to keep a backward compatible layer with Numeric
> and MA. It worked great for a while and now things are getting more and
> more broken.
There are costs as well as benefits in maintaining backward
compatibility, so one should not rely on it indefinitely.

> Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems as if the numpy.oldnumeric.am is
> now simply numpy.ma and it's pointing to the new MaskedArray interface.
> Loosing a LOT of backward compatibility at the same time.

numpy.oldnumeric.ma was a very small compatibility wrapper for
numpy.core.ma; now it is the same, but pointing to numpy.ma, which is
now Pierre's new maskedarray implementatin. Maybe more compatibility
interfacing is needed, either there or in numpy.ma itself, but I would
not agree with your characterization of the degree of incompatibility.

Whether it would be possible (and desirable) to replace oldnumeric.ma
with the old numpy/core/ma.py, I don't know, but maybe this, or some
other way of keeping core/ma.py available, should be considered.  Would
this meet your needs?

Were you happy with release 1.04?

> I'm thinking that such changes should definitely not happen from 1.0.4
> to 1.0.5 but rather in some major upgrade of numpy (1.1 at least, may be
> even 2.0).

No, this has been planned for quite a while, and I would strongly oppose
any such drastic delay.

> It is absolutely necessary to have the oldnumeric.ma working as much as
> possible as MA, what's in now is incompatible with code that have been
> successfully upgraded to numpy using your recommended method (official
> numpy doc)
>
> Can you put back ALL the function from numpy.oldnumeric.ma ? It
> shouldn't be too much work.
>
> Now I'm actually worried about using ma at all? What version is in? Is
> it a completely new package or is it still the old one just a bit
> broken? If it's a new one, we'd have to be sure it is fully tested

No, it is not broken, it has many improvements and bug fixes relative to
the old ma.py.  That is why it is replacing ma.py.

> before we can redistribute it to other people via our package, or before
> we use it ourselves

Well, the only way to get something fully tested is to put it in use.
It has been available for testing for a long time as a separate
implementation, then as a numpy branch, and now for a while in the numpy
svn trunk.  It works well.  It is time to release it--possibly after a
few more tweaks, possibly leaving the old core/ma.py accessible, but
definitely for 1.05. No one will force you to adopt 1.05, so if more
compatibility tweaks are needed after 1.05 you can identify them and
they can be incorporated for the next release.

Eric