[Numpy-discussion] f2py from numpy 1.0.5 on OSX 10.4.11/QuadPPC fails with undefined symbols

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Sun Mar 30 22:10:48 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 9:20 PM, Harry Mangalam <harry.mangalam@uci.edu> wrote:
> On Sunday 30 March 2008, Robert Kern wrote:
>  > On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 8:16 PM, Harry Mangalam
>  <harry.mangalam@uci.edu> wrote:
>  > > Answering part of my own question, one missing lib is (not
>  > >  surprisingly) libpython2.5 (add -lpython2.5) so that the link
>  > > command is:
>  >
>  > No, it isn't. They are "-undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle", most
>  > likely. This is a deficiency of the g95 FCompiler implementation.
>  > No one has bothered to get it to work on OS X; I'm not sure if g95
>  > even supports these flags. They were added to gcc (and accordingly
>  > gfortran) by Apple; I don't know if the g95 guy has kept up.
>
>  Hi Robert,
>
>  I don't understand the "No, it isn't." part.  Adding '-lpython2.5'
>  certainly removed that long list of undefined symbols - are you
>  saying it really had no effect and that should be:
>  "-undefined dynamic_lookup -bundle"

I see that you are using MacPort's non-framework Python, so you may be
right that you need "-L/opt/local/lib -lpython2.5". But you will
definitely need the "-bundle" option. Just for clarification, those
are flags for the linker, not f2py. Pass them in using $LDFLAGS. This
is what the "$LDFLAGS overrides everything" behavior is for,
incidentally; working around unsupported linkers.

Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to detect a non-framework Python
build, so that may continue to be unsupported.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco