[Numpy-discussion] Deprecating PyDataMem_RENEW ?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon May 5 12:11:12 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 7:44 AM, David Cournapeau
<david@ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>  In numpy, we can always replace realloc by malloc/free, because we know
>  the size of the old block: would deprecating PyMemData_RENEW and
>  replacing them by PyMemeData_NEW/PyMemData_FREE be possible, such as to
>  make all numpy arrays follow a default alignement ? There are only a few
>  of them in numpy (6 of them), 0 in scipy, and I guess extensions never
>  really used them ?

I am in favor of at least trying this out. We will have to have a set
of benchmarks to make sure we haven't hurt the current uses of
PyMemData_RENEW which Tim points out.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."