[Numpy-discussion] Deprecating PyDataMem_RENEW ?

Robert Kern robert.kern@gmail....
Mon May 5 13:58:22 CDT 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 1:30 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 2:11 AM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  >  I am in favor of at least trying this out. We will have to have a set
>  >  of benchmarks to make sure we haven't hurt the current uses of
>  >  PyMemData_RENEW which Tim points out.
>
>  What would be a good stress test for PyArray_FromIter ? I think using
>  array iterator was the main hotspot for reading large arff files in
>  scipy.io.arff, would that be enough ?

Since there are only 6 places where PyMemData_RENEW is used, all 6
uses should be benchmarked. I would prefer a more targeted benchmark
so we know exactly what we are measuring.

--
Robert Kern

though it had an underlying truth."
 -- Umberto Eco