[Numpy-discussion] Tests for empty arrays

Keith Goodman kwgoodman@gmail....
Tue May 6 11:53:44 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Anne Archibald
<peridot.faceted@gmail.com> wrote:
>  In fact, if you want to use empty() down the road, it may
>  make sense to initialize your array to zeros()/0., so that if you ever
>  use the values, the NaNs will propagate and become obvious.

Numpy has ones and zeros. Could we add a nans?

I often initialize using x = nan * ones((n ,m)). But if it's in a
loop, I'll avoid one copy by doing

x = np.ones((n, m))
x *= np.nan

To many on the list using nans for missing values is like chewing gum
you found on the sidewalk. But I use it all the time so I'd use a
nans.