[Numpy-discussion] labeled array

Christoph T. Weidemann ctw@cogsci.i...
Tue May 6 12:15:16 CDT 2008

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 1:00 PM,   "Keith Goodman" <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:
>  I'm trying to design a labeled array class. A labeled array contains a
>  2d array and two lists. One list labels the rows of the array (e.g.
>  variable names) and another list labels the columns of the array (e.g.
>  dates).

I'm working on a dimensioned data class that seems to be a more
general case of what you are looking for. It's a subclass of ndarray,
and contains an attribute which specifies each dimension (this works
for any number of dimensions, not just 2D). This data structure is not
currently in a state where it's useful yet, but this will hopefully
change soon.