[Numpy-discussion] Is a string a scalar?

Keith Goodman kwgoodman@gmail....
Wed May 7 15:58:03 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Keith Goodman <kwgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > >> np.isscalar('string')
>  >    True
>
>  <shrug> Either option would cause someone to complain. It's not a
>  cut-and-dry issue. However, since strings can be atomic elements
>  through the various '|S<N>' dtypes, and we already have rules to
>  special-case strings as atomic, "numpy.isscalar('string') == False"
>  would be more inconsistent.

BTW, I noticed that defmatrix.py uses isscalar (from numeric import
isscalar) and N.isscalar (import numpric as N). Each is used only one
time. It confused me a little at first. But that's not saying much.