[Numpy-discussion] bug in oldnumeric.ma

Eric Firing efiring@hawaii....
Fri May 9 03:23:14 CDT 2008

Jarrod Millman wrote:
> On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Pierre GM <pgmdevlist@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, there is a problem with ma.power: masking negative data should be
>> restricted to the case of an exponent between -1. and 1. only, don't you
>> think ?
>
> Charles Doutriaux has suggested that 1.1.0 shouldn't be released until
> this bug is fixed.  I am inclined to somewhat agree with this, but
> would like to know if others agree with this sentiment.  Please
> respond with a +1 or -1 to making this a 1.1.0 blocker.
>
> I also not sure how closely this issue is related with this open
> ticket:  http://projects.scipy.org/scipy/numpy/ticket/301
> I would appreciate it if someone could clarify this issue.

It is a completely different issue; #301 applies to numpy.power with
integer arguments including a negative power; Charles Doutriaux pointed
out a bug in numpy.ma.power (and in the oldnumeric.ma) that masked the
result if the power was negative.

Pierre GM fixed this in r5137, so that the result is masked only if the
first argument is negative and the power is between -1 and 1.

Eric